Bristol proves too strong for Sale in the second half to end a losing streak | Premiership

Bristol ended a four-game losing streak in the Premiership as they chased Sale’s blues by winning 32-15 at Ashton Gate.

Sale hasn’t earned a league road win this season and Bristol extended that streak with the help of three first-half tries.

Full-back Luke Morahan, replacing injured Charles Piutau, scored twice while hooker Will Capon also scored, Bristol posting two of his scores while Sale flanker Tom Curry was in the box.

Open half Callum Sheedy shot two penalties and three conversions, before substitute scrum-half Andy Uren added a late bonus point try.

Sale couldn’t build on a solid first 40 minutes when hooker Ewan Ashman and center Robert Du Preez scored tries as they failed to get a point in the second period.

AJ MacGinty, who will join Bristol next season, suffered a penalty and a conversion, but it was a frustrating evening for Sale after seeing two second-half tries denied for clashes.

Bristol boss Pat Lam made four changes after last weekend’s loss to Exeter, calling Capon, wing Henry Purdy, mainstay Max Lahiff and lock John Hawkins.

Sale greeted Curry after his win over Wasps six days ago, with skipper Jono Ross and No.8 Daniel Du Preez lining up as back-row colleagues, while Sam James started in the middle.

The visitors got off to a good start and took the lead after four minutes with an exceptional try. MacGinty breached Bristol’s defense and had Robert Du Preez on his shoulder for support, before Marland Yarde sidelined Ashman for what was an immediate statement of intent.

Bristol produced a quick response with Capon landing following practice from a lineout after Curry was shown a yellow card for a technical violation.

Sheedy converted for a 7-5 advantage after 10 minutes.

Bristol had a bit between his teeth and claimed a second try as Sale struggled to cope without Curry. Sam Bedlow’s long pass found Morahan in space and he applied a clinical finish.

It turned out an expensive yellow card, as Bristol scored 12 unanswered points while Curry was out, but the visitors equalized eight minutes after his return with Robert Du Preez completing a smooth move and MacGinty’s conversion tying things up .

Morahan’s second try, converted by Sheedy, restored Bristol’s lead before a MacGinty penalty reduced the lead to four points.

Sheedy opened the Bristol account in the second half with a long-range penalty and when he repeated the feat as the end of an error-ridden third quarter neared, Sale had 10 points. delay.

It looked like the Sharks had reduced the deficit when full-back Luke James won a kick and a chase to touch the ground, but the score was ruled out for a punch earlier in the game after Barnes had consulted with televised game official Tom Foley.

James’ brother Sam then gave a try for a knockout by substitute Simon Hammersley and there was no way Sale could come back after that as Bristol registered their first Premiership win in two months.

Comments are closed.